I came across this idea of creating little cornucopias from ice cream cones on Pinterest a few years ago and thought they were adorable. That year, I forgot to make them for Thanksgiving...but came across my forgotten pin again recently and decided to make them this year...with a Stampin' Up! spin of course!
The instructions I found online were kind of vague but I used that for my guide to start with. What I found worked out best for me is as follows...
First, gather up your supplies.
- Dip the pointed end of the cone into the water and submerge the entire bottom... leaving about the top 3 inches or so dry. Hold in water for approximately 20 seconds.
- Place the dampened cone onto a microwave safe plate and place in microwave on high for 30 seconds. Since microwaves vary, you might have to adjust this time. I started with 20 seconds and that just wasn't enough time.
- Remove plate with cone from microwave and place the seam side of cone down.
- Use a wooden spoon handle to carefully flatten the cone from the middle on down to the tip.
- Once you are at the tip, curl the tip upwards around the handle of the spoon. Note: You need to work rather quickly with the warm cone once removing from microwave.
- Hold cone in desired shape for a minute or so to cool and hold its shape
- Place onto foil lined cookie sheet and proceed until you have shaped all your cones.